United Way of Indian River County and the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax preparation and e-filing services to qualified residents with an annual household income at or below $58,000. This tax season, VITA will be provided through a hybrid model with in-person and drop-off Valet VITA appointments.
Families with low to moderate-income may miss out on substantial tax credits if they don’t have assistance filing their tax returns. All United Way VITA volunteers are IRS-trained and certified every year and provide free tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals in Indian River County. In addition, they ensure that taxpayers receive credits due to them, such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or Disabled.
Appointments can be made online at UnitedWayIRC.org/taxes or by calling (772) 203-5766. Tax filing will start on Monday, January 31st. Clients must bring a valid picture ID, social security card (or ITIN card) for everybody on the tax return, and a copy of their 2020 tax return if filed, as well as the usual relevant tax documents. For a complete list of documents to bring to your appointment, please visit our website, UnitedWayIRC.org.
There are five convenient locations throughout Indian River County. Each site operates a different schedule, and appointments are necessary for all locations:
- United Way Center located at 1836 14th Avenue, Vero Beach, FL 32960
• Mondays & Wednesdays from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM
• Fridays & Saturdays from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- United Against Poverty located at 1400 27th Street, Vero Beach, FL 32960
• Tuesdays from 2:30 PM to 6:30 PM
• Thursdays from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
- North Indian River County Library located at 1001 Sebastian Blvd., Sebastian, FL 32958
• Tuesdays only from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Literacy Services located at 21 S. Cypress Street, Fellsmere, FL 32948
• 1st Thursday of the month only from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Fellsmere Community Enrichment Program located at 10072 Esperanza Circle, Fellsmere, FL 32948
• 4th Thursday of the month only from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM
This will be the twelfth year United Way of Indian River County has provided free tax preparation through IRS-certified volunteers generously contributing their time and expertise to building a stronger community. In 2021, UWIRC offered a drop-off/pick-up valet option to serve community members needing their stimulus checks safely and effectively. As the only site offering VITA services, last year in Indian River County, nearly 1,400 returns were filed through this program with an average household refund amount of $1,165, resulting in over $1.6 million in state and federal refunds. VITA is a financial stability initiative supported by United Way of Indian River County.
About United Way of Indian River County
United Way of Indian River County (UWIRC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every community member. United Way works with local programs to provide resources to individuals and families in crisis today, while working year-round to improve community conditions and create lasting solutions. We are effectively building a strong foundation and improving lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. For more information about your local United Way, please call (772) 567-8900 or visit our website, UnitedWayIRC.org.