HELP YOUR NEIGHBORS FILE THEIR TAXES THIS COMING TAX SEASON
Become a clerical assistant, interpreter, IRS-certified tax preparer or greeter!
1. Sign-up: Complete the VITA volunteer application.
2. Attend Training: Once you sign-up you will receive information about our IRS certification training on December 10 and 11.
3. Complete Certification: Tax preparers and greeters are required to be IRS-certified. (Clerical assistance and interpreters do NOT need to be certified.)
4. Volunteer! Once your certification is complete, you can start!
FAQ: Frequently Asked questions
VITA or Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program is a free tax service offered annually (January – April 15) to individuals and families with low to moderate incomes.
Countless taxpayers could be receiving EITC (Earned Income Tax Credits) and/or CTC (Child Tax Credits) if they had assistance filing their returns.
VITA volunteers do more than just prepare taxes. They play a critical role in ensuring that low-income individuals and families have access to valuable tax credits without paying any fees.
This program is FREE for clients and run by volunteers, allowing clients to save their money or catch up on payments or buy essentials.
Certified volunteers will need to commit to between 4 and 8 hours per week from January through April at one of 5 VITA locations throughout Indian River County.
COVID-19 safety precautions will be in place.
VITA resources and technical support will always be available.
Volunteers of all backgrounds are welcome. however, Spanish/English bilingual preparers, retirees, students and those with financial backgrounds are highly encouraged to participate. Eligible volunteers will be able to claim CE credits. *All volunteers must be computer literate and are required to attend training and get certified.*
- Tax Preparation Volunteer Duties: Become IRS certified and provide free tax return preparation to eligible taxpayers.
Interested in becoming a VITA volunteer, but don’t want to do tax preparation?
No worries! We’re looking for greeters, administration and clerical volunteers, and interpreters, too.
- Greeters: Welcome taxpayers, verify they have all required documents and information, and ensure that they fill out the necessary intake forms.
- Administration and Clerical Duties: No IRS training required! Faxing, copying, scanning, filing, answering phones, and scheduling appointments.
- Interpreters: Assist at various levels: prepare taxes, greet taxpayers, or interpret only. Bilingual volunteers are needed at all sites!
*Volunteers must be 16 years or older.
Absolutely! Learn tax preparation by helping people in the community – it looks great on your resume or application, and you may even qualify for credits.
- Need volunteer hours to graduate or get a scholarship?
- Looking to get a head start in your Finance or Accounting degree or career?
- Get hands on experience and real-world skills!
- Scheduling is flexible and locations span all of Indian River County.
Volunteers must be 16 years or older.
Fill our our VITA application, and Stacy, our Community Impact Coordinator will be in touch with you following your submission to discuss next steps.
IRS certification training is mandatory and will be held at the United Way Center (1836 14th Avenue, Vero Beach, FL 32960) on December 10th and 11th.
Certification and training is only required for tax preparers and greeters.