We all need a little pay it forward in our lives, especially during the holiday season. So, we’ve compiled twelve ways for you to get into the spirit of giving.
1. Share the Warmth – Decluttering? Donate gently used clothing and blankets that you no longer use to a local shelter.
2. Little Free Library – Stop by one of many Little Free Libraries around Indian River County. Take a book to share with your favorite kiddo(s) or donate and help restock the shelves. Check out all the locations here.
3. Share the Love – Shop local for your holiday gifts and stocking stuffers AND support a local business. Visit a local craft show, farmers market or enjoy a nice meal at a mom-and-pop restaurant. Gift cards are always a great gift, too!
4. Season’s Greetings – Sometimes, snail mail is the way to go. Write a greeting card to your friend, family, or senior. Consider those who may not be receiving many cards this year or who may not have family members close. Help make being away from home a little easier by sending a greeting card to our armed servicemen and women or sending warm wishes to a local veteran.
5. Sharing is Caring – Share the joy of a home-cooked meal with someone you don’t often get to see. Or, if you’re baking, make an extra half dozen for a neighbor or relative that may be living alone.
6. Love Where You Live – Enjoy some time to appreciate the small things. Enjoy Florida’s beauty -watch the sunrise over the water or visit one of our community’s many nature trails. Make sure to bring a bucket and pick up any litter you may come across.
7. Shop Right – While you’re picking up your groceries, buy an extra can or two and donate it to a local food bank. Diapers, laundry detergent, and personal care items are always needed, too!
8. Share a Moment – Read a holiday story or share a special holiday memory from your childhood with loved ones.
9. Lend a Hand – Take a moment to make someone’s day better by holding the door open, feeding a parking meter, or buying a cup of coffee or meal for the person behind you in line. Sometimes, all it takes is a kind word or gesture to improve someone’s day! Feel free to add a smile to sweeten the deal.
10. Grant a Wish – Be a Secret Santa and make a Christmas wish come true. Purchase a gift for someone less fortunate, adopt a family or senior, or participate in a local toy drive.
12. Commit to Volunteer – Your help is always needed throughout the year, so commit to our community this year. Sign up at VolunteerIndianRiver.com, follow the organizations and opportunities you’re interested in, and stay connected year-round!