Help your neighbors file their taxes
Become a clerical assistant, interpreter, IRS-certified tax preparer or greeter!
For more information, please contact us at (772) 567-8900.
It's easy to lend a helping hand
1. Sign-up: Complete the VITA volunteer application
2. Attending Training: Once you sign-up, you will receive information about our IRS Certification Training
3. Complete Certification: Tax preparers and greets are required to be IRS-certified. (Clerical assistance and interpreters do NOT need to be certified.)
4. Volunteer: Once your certification is complete, you can start!
FAQ: Frequently Asked questions
VITA or Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program is a free tax service offered annually (January – April 15) to individuals and families with low to moderate incomes.
Countless taxpayers could be receiving EITC (Earned Income Tax Credits) and/or CTC (Child Tax Credits) if they had assistance filing their returns.
VITA volunteers do more than just prepare taxes. They play a critical role in ensuring that low-income individuals and families have access to valuable tax credits without paying any fees.
This program is FREE for clients and run by volunteers, allowing clients to save their money or catch up on payments or buy essentials.
Certified volunteers will need to commit to between 4 and 8 hours per week from January through Tax Day at one of multiple VITA locations throughout Indian River County.
VITA resources and technical support will always be available.
Volunteers of all backgrounds are welcome. however, Spanish/English bilingual preparers, retirees, students and those with financial backgrounds are highly encouraged to participate. Eligible volunteers will be able to claim CE credits. *All volunteers must be computer literate and are required to attend training and get certified.*
- Tax Preparation Volunteer Duties: Become IRS certified and provide free tax return preparation to eligible taxpayers.
Interested in becoming a VITA volunteer, but don’t want to do tax preparation?
No worries! We’re looking for greeters, administration and clerical volunteers, and interpreters, too.
- Greeters: Welcome taxpayers, verify they have all required documents and information, and ensure that they fill out the necessary intake forms.
- Administration and Clerical Duties: No IRS training required! Faxing, copying, scanning, filing, answering phones, and scheduling appointments.
- Interpreters: Assist at various levels: prepare taxes, greet taxpayers, or interpret only. Bilingual volunteers are needed at all sites!
*Volunteers must be 16 years or older.
Absolutely! Learn tax preparation by helping people in the community – it looks great on your resume or application, and you may even qualify for credits.
- Need volunteer hours to graduate or get a scholarship?
- Looking to get a head start in your Finance or Accounting degree or career?
- Get hands on experience and real-world skills!
- Scheduling is flexible and locations span all of Indian River County.
Volunteers must be 16 years or older.
Fill our our VITA application, and our Community Impact Coordinator will be in touch with you following your submission to discuss next steps.
Training is strongly encouraged for all VITA Volunteers as an opportunity to prepare for tax season. Workshops are funded by UWIRC as an investment in you, our VITA Volunteer.
• Get trained for the US 2023-2024 Tax Season – Date are yet to be determined.
• Pass the online exam offered by the IRS with an 80% or better.
• Complete the IRS online Intake and Code of Ethics Training (self-study).
• Attend United Way IRC VITA Volunteer Orientation in Jan 2024.
Depending on the type of volunteer work you will be doing, we may require names and phone numbers for a reference check, a criminal records check, your review of United Way policies and/or your signature on a confidentiality agreement. United Way of Indian River County is committed to keeping your personal information confidential and secure. When you submit your volunteer application form you agree that: (1) we may collect personal information from you and about you such as your name, address, phone number, email, occupation, skills, and other information we may need to coordinate volunteer opportunities; and (2) we may use such personal information for purposes of identifying volunteer opportunities which may suit you and to contact you regarding those opportunities. You may withdraw your consent to the foregoing at any time as long as you give reasonable notice of such withdrawal. In addition, I hereby grant the United Way of Indian River County (UWIRC), consent to the use of all photographs, videotape, other images, and/or audio recordings that UWIRC has taken of me, or in which I may be included, for all purposes, in any and all media including the internet, without limitation, including promotion, solicitation, advertising or trade. I hereby irrevocably authorize the UWIRC to edit, alter, copy, exhibit, publish or distribute these photos, videos, or audio recordings for purposes of publicizing the UWIRC programs, or for any other lawful purpose. In addition, I waive the right to inspect or approve the finished product, including written or electronic copy, wherein my likeness appears. Additionally, I waive any right to royalties or compensation arising or related to the use of the photo, video or audio recordings.
I have read this release before signing below and I fully understand the contents, meaning, and impact of this release.